Xarelto lawsuits filed across the country describe a variety of injuries caused by Xarelto’s dangerous side effects.
Xarelto: uncontrollable bleeding. The risk of unstoppable, possibly fatal, bleeding is Xarelto’s most dangerous side effect. Symptoms of internal hemorrhaging include: headaches, spitting up blood, and a stool that is red or black. The risk for injury is even higher when Xarelto is consumed with other drugs, including aspirin and several others.
Xarelto: wound complications. Patients who undergo knee or hip replacement surgery sometimes receive Xarelto to reduce the risk of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. But a number of studies indicate that patients given other treatments, like compression stockings and aspirin, actually have fewer wound complications than those treated with Xarelto. Post-surgical complications with Xarelto include:
- Excessive oozing and drainage;
- Chronic pain in the surgical site;
- Limited range of motion; and
- Revision surgery to correct the Xarelto-related wound complications.
Xarelto: Blood clots near the spinal cord. Patients taking Xarelto may be at risk for developing a blood clot around the spinal cord or in the brain when undergoing a spinal tap or receiving an epidural anesthetic. Such blood clots may cause stroke, paralysis and other injuries. Xarelto patients at a heightened risk include those who:
- Need an epidural catheter to administer medication through the back;
- Use non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs);
- Have had difficulty with previous spinal punctures or had them frequently; and
- Have undergone spinal surgery.
Xarelto: Other side effects. Here are some other commonly reported Xarelto side effects. Some are potentially life threatening:
- Dramatic changes in blood pressure;
- Racing heartbeat (tachycardia);
- Irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia);
- Numbness and itching, tingling or burning of the skin;
- Bladder or gastrointestinal problems;
- Difficulty swallowing;
- Dizziness or fainting;
- Back pain;
- Weakness or pain in the extremities; and
- Muscle spasms.